Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Having No Personality

Blogging in a way that is tied to people you know, causes several things to happen. First of all, I do my best to not be a complete jerk. This is important, since friends and family potentially read this blog, and I like most of them enough to not want to hurt them.

Second of all, this blog is a bit of a face to what I think. Because of this, I've been rethinking some of my actions and decisions, of which, I will discuss later in this blog post. Unlike anonymous forums, this account is linked to my e-mail, my Facebook, and has my name attached directly to it.

Now, my friends who are closest to me, realize that my personality is different depending on the company. I may be more liberal in my views around certain company, or I may be conservative with others. I believe that this is true for everyone, but what is unique about this in a public facing blog, is that all my circles of friends can view my actions simultaneously.

Partly because of this, I tend to find my writing lacking a certain edge, that others like, Gevlon for example, seem to delight in. Furthermore, even others like Tobold, are able to take a opposing point of view to make a point, without confusing those in his circles (other than his readers at times).

When I think about how present myself in this blog, I feel similarly to when I am at work. I am constantly attempting to not hurt other people's feelings, and though I may make a strong stand against something, I do attempt to not be too childish about it.

So here goes my decision reversal. A while ago, there was a confluence negative feelings towards social media. Part of this was due to Blizzard announcing the use of real names in forums. Because of this I made a bold claim, no more posts about Blizzard games, and I would not be purchasing any of the games either.

Upon reflection, I have gained two points from this, A: It did not work for Tobold to not mention Darkfall, so why would it work for me? B: It turns out to be really childish, and results in posts that sound too edited.

So I am recalling my ban on mentioning Blizzard games on the blog, mostly to make things easier for myself. As for the not buying the games, lets be honest, I probably wouldn't have bought it on release anyways. I played WoW over a year after release. I didn't start playing Diablo 2 until a year or so after the expansion came out, and I bought StarCraft back in the day, and hated it immensely. Even Warcraft 2 was purchased a year later.

So will I buy Diablo 3, a year or two years after it comes out? Honestly, I do not know. What I do know, is that my public face is irrevocably linked to video games. So do I personally have a problem with my name being out there in forums? Not at all. But I still have an issue with how Blizzard had been trying to implement it. But for now, that is behind us.

2 comments:

  1. hehe I admit I didn't know about this 'wow ban' of yours, but it sounds like a hassle indeed. ;)
    in the end this is your blog and you can post whatever you feel ok with, or reverse your opinions for that matter.

    I know what you mean by feeling obligated towards certain readers etc. but I try and tell myself that I'm the only person I need to answer to about my opinions. I find reader reactions very hard to guess or anticipate anyway; sometimes the most controversial (as you believe them to be) statements can get great feedback and vice versa, you end up offending somebody you never even thought to offend. but I feel thats part of the trade too and everyone needs to develop a bit of a thick skin and remember that not everything written on paper is 100% gospel truth (or even always so representative of the author). sometimes our blog posts are done in a rush, we didn't think them through enough etc. - it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, this feeling of having to behave on a blog as you would at work is the reason why I deleted 4 blogs I think it was. Its extremely hard to keep writing, to keep expressing opinions while trying to be diplomatic, unoffensive, as neutral as you can manage.

    what you chose to do on your personal blog should be up to you and if your opinion happens not to mesh with someone else's? To quote one of my favorite movie characters of all time "Well, that's just your opinion, man"

    ReplyDelete