Friday, January 26, 2018

Variance - A Plan Killer

One of the major issues of making decks in Magic the Gathering, is that I'm constantly fighting against variance. Often times, I'm struggling to fit in enough variety while also having enough copies of an effect that I'll see it when I need it.

The biggest issue with that is, that there's multiple types of decks, and facing off against them means that you won't always have a plan for what you're dealing with. The most you can do is plan for the trend, but when you mostly play in big tournaments you really can't rely on that. The bigger the tournament, the more likely you are to run into decks you would never be able to plan for.

So instead I keep tuning this deck that at most I end up being 50% win rate vs most things. It would be fine if it was based on skill, but the win rate is based on draws.  I really can't describe any of my wins as skill based. It's all luck and variance.

This makes it hard for me to plan how to make changes. I'm focusing on being better versus creature decks and having some sideboard cards to ease combo and control (which shares a lot of common hate cards). This way I know that I have a good chance against X types of decks (aggro and midrange should be more likely for me to win), and control and combo should be possible or at least at worst a 50% lose rate.

I'll be testing a new list, and seeing how the changes work out. I'll update with more info later.

No comments:

Post a Comment