Saturday, January 6, 2018

Modern Magic - Mardu Control - Rivals of Ixalan

I've been playing Magic: the Gathering on and off for about 15 years now. But it wasn't until the last 3 years or when I started playing Modern, that I became interested in competitive magic. When I first started, I remember reading articles by Zvi Mowshowitz on how to design decks (not to say I'm any good).

One color combination that's been really digging its heels into my psyche is Mardu (Red, Black, White) and I've been building a Modern Mardu Control deck that has shown some success (it's failures more often to do with my own incompetence rather than the deck's failings).

In about a week a new Magic set is coming out, and some cards in it caught my eye, to either include in my own deck, or as potential powerhouses for other Red/White/Black mages out there.

First:


Angrath, the Flame-Chained has a lot of potential for Mardu Control, but in Modern the biggest issue I have is that too often I don't want my opponents to have a graveyard. But I like this in decks that run heavier on Liliana of the Veil. Usually by the time this lands, you have stripped enough of their hand that you are either finishing off their hands or just hitting them in the face for 2 life a turn.

Second:


Rekindling Phoenix feels like red's Kitchen Finks. Not in the life gain, but as this free you can't deal with it with 1 removal kinda feeling. It is a value card, and the difficulty in removing it can be of great value in protecting other higher value cards later on.

Third:


Dire Fleet Daredevil (or as I like to call her, Snap Other Mage), is a red Snap Caster Mage that trades Flash for the ability to steal spells from your opponent. This is going to be a 4 of to start in my testing, but might be sideboard tech versus control decks. There's a lot to be said for stealing from your opponent's graveyard. The lack of flash is this card's greatest weakness.

Fourth:

Slaughter the Strong is a very interesting wrath effect. It's weakness is that it gives the opponent a choice and leaves some power on the battlefield unless your opponent was just full of huge creatures. It gets around certain things like Hexproof and Indestructible since it forces a sacrifice. I'd have to look deeper into how often the clause would interfere with protecting the player from losing.

Fifth:

Tilonalli's Summoner I feel can be a great control finisher. You want to play this when you have destroyed your opponent's hand, and board state. Something about being able to start spewing out elementals really excites me.

Sixth:

Oathsworn Vampire reminds me a great deal of Blood Soaked Champion. Recursion like this is very fun, but I feel like I would have to change up my deck's build a bit more to fully utilize what this card can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment