Sunday, October 11, 2009

Taste

I started wondering if what I like, as far as videogames, and movies, and books, might affect how others view my opinions and suggestions.

So I decided to write about 5 favorite games of all time. These are games that I can play and enjoy at anytime, and never get tired of them (or at least I never have).

Ranked from most favorite down:

Ms. Pac-man
Tetris
Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past
Super Mario World
World of Warcraft

If we extend this list down 5 more we get:

Megaman 2
Final Fantasy VI
Rock and Roll Racing
Super Punch-out
Megaman X2

So, I started wondering what this means as far as what kind of gamer I am. If it were movies, I'd have an easier time identifying things, like the correlation of liking Happy Tree Friends, Rob Zombie movies and Crack Cocaine.

The other interesting thing is that all the games I love, are games I've beaten (World of Warcraft is an exception, but justly so, since you simply can't EVER beat it). There is a high degree of puzzle elements in most of my choices.

Also, a high degree of Super Nintendo games (6/10 are from SNES). Of course, reading over the list I keep wanting to add to it, since there are so many games that I feel "tie" for several spots on the list.

So then, I decided to ask myself, what games do I play now?

Ms. Pac-man (cellphone)
Tetris (cellphone)
Dr. Mario (DSi download)
Scribblenauts (DS)
World of Warcraft (PC)
Champions Online (PC)

Comparing to the first list, I find that my top 2 favorite games still get alot of play-time from me, but where is Zelda, and Mario and Megaman? Why don't I play them, or new games they've released?

Zelda: My favorite Zelda game is Link to the Past, followed by Link's Adventure, and the GBA link games (Time, Season, Four-sword, Minnish-Cap etc etc). I've seen things about the DS Zelda game, but I haven't brought myself to play it yet.

Mario: I wanted to get New Mario Bros, and honestly, I don't know why I haven't yet. I'm really excited for the Mario Wii game that's coming out (the non-Galaxy one).

Mega Man: I'd want to play a non-rpg mega man, maybe in Legends style, or an upgrade from the X series (X series started losing in the US, when they lost the formula of what made the X games so great).

In the end, I like games that I can hop on for 10 minutes and play, but that provide a deep enough experience, that even hours later I'm still having fun.

What is YOUR top 5 games of all time, and what are you playing currently?

PS:If this turns out to be a subject of interest I'll continue on to movies and books.

No comments:

Post a Comment