Sunday, May 8, 2022

The (Un)characteristic Urge to Quit Retail

 or

How I'm Currently Feeling

It's difficult to go around and say, hey, lets do this work here and have to deal with customers. I'm telling you right now, customers are the worst. I love helping people but I hate customers. People I can deal with, customers are just transactional vampires, who want to make everything one-sided in their favor, while not actually spending the amount of money necessary to get those benefits.

A guest of mine, would understand my limitations, and what I can offer them. We work together to give them the value they can afford. I guide them through the help they need to accomplish their goals, and using my advice and guidance, they reach their goals, because they try.

Customers want things done for them. They want you to do the work. They do not, can not, and refuse to do the work. Customers are stupid, lazy, and often bigoted.

So how can we avoid customers in our life?

I think it's about how we present ourselves. We want to filter customers away quickly. Get them to give up and move on as fast as possible. That means, we want to set our boundaries with them and enforce them. If they feel hurt by those boundaries, that's not our fault. Because plenty of others work around our boundaries.

Say NO

So one of the first things I realized when I started to get tired of kowtowing to customers was that I valued myself higher than I valued their money for the company that fails to pay me enough to pay my rent. With that in mind, I learned to say NO.

And honestly, there's nothing quite like saying no to an old entitled white person. They get angry so quickly. I don't know if it's the shock or embarrassment that they should have known better, but they become so furious. Like cartoony in how their face deforms.

"Can I get the key to the bathroom?"

"No."

"Why not, why won't you let me use the bathroom?"

"Because someone is in there right now."

Take time OFF

I also do my best to stay away from my job. I use my sick time when I need it, even if its just because of a headache, or I woke up feeling mopey. I take my time off, and don't hold onto some grand vacation I'll never take and can't afford anyway.

I also make specific time for friends and family. Seriously, spend time with people that love you.

Also while at work, take your breaks. And don't feel like you have to be the person who handles the crazy customer. Excuse yourself and grab your manager. That's what they are getting paid for. For trouble.

Do not let customers dictate your mood

And focus on those wonderful guests of yours. They are the ones that make the work worth it.

Do not help those who will not help themselves

The frustration of it will be too difficult to be worth it. Ask them to try to do it themselves or tell them you will guide them.

No comments:

Post a Comment