Saturday, May 21, 2022

Low Level Character Playtest - The Armored Mage - D&D5e

 So I played the armored mage that I wrote about last week.

I was level 10 though, so it wasn't the level 5 build, but it did bring in quite a bit of information for how I would want to change things.

So let's start with what I did, what worked, what was lacking, and what I would change.

What I Did

So I built this as a Minotaur. Since this was a one-shot, we had a bunch of magic items, so my focus was more on having an action economy. My DM let me use Hammering Horns after Booming Blade. So that I could boom someone then toss them over my head. I also had a belt that increased my strength, and a way to fly. While those helped keep me in play with everyone else, I really felt like there were things missing in the build.

What Worked

Booming Blade as an attack was just perfect. I could focus on my Intelligence almost exclusively and used a magic item to enhance my strength. At 5th level, you'll be doing weapon+str/dex+1d8 damage. It's nice and consistent. You also add those extra psi-warrior d6s for a few attacks per fight.

Leveling up as Artificer gave me access to Sanctuary, which is surprisingly a great tank spell when you have a support build in your group. Actually Artificer gave a lot of options for the character and was a great 3rd class to step into. I would definitely try to go, full Artificer, if I were to go into it though.

I never got hit, as for my saves though ... Arcane Deflection almost never came up by 10th level, because either I rolled too low or too high. I don't want to say no to it just because of these 5 fights though. But this does lead me to:

What Was Lacking

This build is very reliant on Reactions and had almost no Bonus Actions except for an Artificer spell and a racial ability.

The power level of spells wasn't very high, so you can really just hold on to Silvery Barbs (again a reaction!), and having magic missile as a ranged attack option, that you know will hit is very useful.

The build also wants so strongly to attack with Booming Blade and has no synergy with the extra attack from Fighter or Artificer in that regard. Which is why I started thinking:

What I Would Change

As far as subclass recommendations, I feel like Psi-Warrior leaves you over filled with reaction possibilities and didn't interact well with the spell casting aspects of the build, while it worked fine with Booming Blade, which is your focus. So, if you are not going past level 3, I would have to change the recommendation of Psi-Warrior, to perhaps Battle Master (for additional Maneuvers).

You really want to get a bonus action attack. My DM allowed my Minotaur to use hammering horns with Booming Blade, though the wording does make it less likely for other DMs to approve it. Eldritch Knight lets you do a bonus action attack after the cantrip, and later on, after casting a spell.

Either way, if you only go 3 fighter levels and don't go to a full 8 or 18, you will not get enough benefit from the Psi-Warrior aspect of the build.

The Armorer suggestion worked great, but like I said earlier, the spell levels never reached high enough, and so you were mostly sitting on reaction spells like shield, silvery barbs and feather fall. Actually, because of how this actually played out, getting Arcane deflection wasn't worth it even as a free mini shield spell. Instead, I think going with the new Bladesinger (which is open to more races and gives you an extra attack with a cantrip) is actually the stronger option, even though you literally can't bladesing in heavy armor. This would be my recommendation if going deeper into wizard levels.

In the end, I played with the Artificer 3rd class option. You really don't want to use your spells for attacking with this playstyle. While the Artificer class gave things to do, it also takes too long to gain the cool benefits, especially when it's your third multiclass and it doesn't really kick off with cool stuff until 6th and 10th levels.

This build is one of the few that I would say should focus on certain racial abilities. If your DM allows it, I'd go with a Centaur or Minotaur for bonus action hoofs or horn toss. Goblin also has a benefit that you can run up, Booming Blade, then disengage making them have to chase you and trigger the boom.

Thanks for Reading!

If you like this build, let me know over on twitter @PangoriaF
You can also support me on Ko-Fi where I sell dnd PDFs.
You can also gain exclusive access to other things I'm working on over on my Patreon.

I'm planning to do videos of these builds on my youtube channel.

If you need any special work done for your business or personal projects, check out Fiverr! It's a great place to get character drawings for your campaign!

No comments:

Post a Comment