Saturday, November 5, 2011

Week 2 - Continued Low Self Efficacy

I started this writing project with a high sense of self efficacy. I believed I could write 50,000 words in one month. After 2 weeks, and only being 1k words into the project, I'm quaking in fear. Though I may have 25 days in NaNoWriMo, I have only 14 days to finish up this project. That is 3,500 words a day. Between work and school work, this feels entirely impossible.

Part of the problem is my own fault. Every time I feel I should write, I play instead. I am sabotaging myself. I'm not exactly sure why. Either way, my current self-efficacy is low for completing NaNoWriMo this month.

I'm currently experiencing cognitive dissonance. I'm trying to justify it somehow, but all I have, is that my own actions were poorly chosen, and that I have placed more work and stress on myself instead. This made it even harder for me to tackle the issue. Instead, what I did to reduce the dissonance, is to accept that I have a larger workload, and plan to schedule harder set times to write.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had helpful suggestions. I'm theoretically "writing" right now.

    In this time I've:
    1. Bought an album on Amazon
    2. Made kids food
    3. Visited various websites
    4. Written this comment
    5. Daydreamed
    6. Written a couple hundred words
    7. Discovered that some of my mp3's had inaccurate information, and fixed it

    It's kind of depressing, but kind of amusing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, to be fair, you've managed to keep your word count and content each week at a very high level. By my estimates, you've written quite a few novels in your blog alone! Thanks for the words though, it helped me not only be able to feel like I'm the only one, but it also allowed me to see that it shouldn't stop me from trying.

    ReplyDelete