Monday, September 12, 2011

Cardboard Box Assembler Review


My son is usually a source of what is fun for me. That said, he has a way of finding interesting flash games online. One of them that I fell in love with, and would love to see expanded upon is Cardboard Box Assembler (distributed by Adult Swim Games). I played the game through the Armour Games online portal.

CBA (Cardboard Box Assembler), is a game where you play a guy running around the outside of a box. The game is a kinetic puzzler to get all the items necessary to open the portal and head through the exit. Movement is fluid. Jumping and running feel visceral, and has weight to it.

New concepts are introduced simply and by themselves before being combined with other aspects of the game. As you run around, you can see the other side of the box, which sometimes can hint at how to get where you need to go.

With that in mind, there is no hint system. If you are stuck, all you can do is skip the level. With that in mind, there are simply not enough levels in the game. The game would require more levels to be a full release to a console or portable device. It also feels that the character should be able to do more. Despite looking agile, the character can not wall jump, or do any other agile movements other than jump and run.

The 3D box effect is what first drew me into the game. It is amazing for a flash game, and reminded me of an old Atari game called Rubick’s cube. The storyline is throw away, and should be ignored, vigorously. I was trying to find out who made the game, and the best I could come up with was that it used to be called Cubesome. I suppose that adding the story is what made it an Adult Swim game, but honestly it would have done better to have chosen a better storyline.

There’s a lot of directions this game could go in, and I’m surprised I haven’t heard more about it expanding beyond a flash game. It is an amazingly fun little flash game that could easily become something more. Especially as a downloadable game on the 3DS or PSP Vita. The game could do more, like having more movement choices for the character, more levels, and more complicated structures (other than just cubes). The storyline is a severe issue though and should be dumped and recreated before release (as it manages to be both not funny and stupid).

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard of Echochrome? If you like that sort of puzzle/exploration game where perspective is important, you might give that a look. I can't remember what platform it's on (it may be console only; it's been a while since I checked it out), but the design was ingenious. If you haven't, watch a video of the demo and see what you think.

    That said, I'll check out CBA when I get home tonight. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, yes, Echochrome looks really interesting. From videos I saw it feels more puzzle than agile, but it looks like great fun. I don't own a PS3 and my PSP is dead, which is unfortunate. Thank you for the recommendation, it looks like Echochrome gets really complicated, which looks absolutely fascinating.

    ReplyDelete