Saturday, June 12, 2010

Struggle with writing

I've been struggling with my writing lately.  Two weeks into June and I'm realizing the error of my layout.  My scenes aren't exciting enough.  I'm not saying every scene needs to have a fight, but I have some scenes where I can't seem to find a reason for it to be in there other than as an excuse to show people how things are.

So my current plan is to sit down and figure out how to not only show how things are, but also get something in the story-line moving forward.  This means that the story will be "denser" than it currently is.  I don't know if that will result in less words or what...

Anyways, this also means that my blog posts might slow down a bit, and I apologize for those who just got into the once a week groove of things.  I'll try to empty my brain here once a week still, but I'm not sure how much that content will be, especially since I've been aiming at improving my dialog.

I do have a post half finished, but I'm not sure how to finish it up yet, so that might come up in a bit as well.

2 comments:

  1. I've sometimes heard people say that the writer should be doing at least three things in every scene.

    Personally, I don't really try to do that, but for me at least, every scene pretty much has to move the plot forward in some way. If you don't move the plot forward, people tend to get bored.

    I found pen and paper role-playing games particularly useful in training me on that because if things weren't moving forward, I could see people getting bored right there in front of me.

    ReplyDelete